Welcome to Web 2.0!

If you are just getting started go to the Welcome Page or if you are continuing lessons welcome back! Use the Weekly Outline or blog archive for easy navigation. If you are on a roll work ahead. Feel free to email me with any questions. Be sure to scroll down to check the Q&A Meebo Chat Room often.



Are you a VCS Employee? Sign up for Professional Development on Training CALENDAR ~10pts!!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Extra Credit: Library Thing

Library Thing is a free online cataloging tool for your personal library.  I used this tool in my classroom so students could search my classroom library for a resource.  Go to http://www.librarything.com/, register and catalog a few books.  You can do this by ISBN, use Amazon, Library of Congress, really there are so many ways to retrieve information about your title.  Then you can create a widget in a few clicks like the one above and post it on your classroom Wiki or blog so your students can search your library.  It is also a great way to keep track of your inventory!  Happy cataloging!

Post a comment below about Library Thing.

7 comments:

Amy Miller said...

I just signed uip for Library Thing! I have an extensive classroom library and student's are often asking me if I have a certain book or author. This is a great tool for them to search for my books on their own! Thank you!

Time4Sail said...

I just signed up for Library Thing and embedded it to my BLOG. Love the idea I could add all the Florida Sunshine State Readers for this year on my Library Thing. This is a very useful tool. I have also researched the Reading Counts points for each book, Lexile number, and reading level which will also be helpful! Now to inventory the 100+ books in my classroom to add to the site.

christine said...

I plan on signing up for Library Thing. I also have an extensive classroom library. Two summers ago, I looked up each book's Lexile and labeled it. I have them grouped according to Lexile level. This would be good for me to keep track of my books. Also it would be a nice place for students to comment on books they have read.

Mrs. Jacobsen said...

My first grade library takes up every cubby I have on the wall! I have them alphabetized and marked for RC. To think that I can have an online catalog that is searchable and accessable to parents. And then post a link to my website Wow! I may have to go back to school early just to work on this.

andrews3 said...

I just signed up for Library Thing and added all of our SSYRA books for this year. It was really fun & easy to use. I could see classroom teachers using this to organize their classroom libraries. Wish it was around when I was in the classroom.

Michelle Deibler said...

I think Library thing will be a great way for students to pick out a book that I have in the class library. They sometimes aren't sure if they want to read it by the cover... this might help them not pass up a great read!

Michelle Deibler said...

I also think I'm going to have a "class" Library thing. I just made the account. I have fifth graders. Why not let them add books from my class library themselves, after reading the book!?!